Thursday, October 1, 2009

Stay in School

Abstinence education should, in my opinion, consist of teaching teenagers the meaning of the word abstinence, and then move on to more important topics like contraception.

Does that seem harsh? Well I went to catholic high school and I was exposed to three years of it. Three years of watching videos in religion class, three years of reading right wing articles about the invalidity of gay love, and the scorn of god toward users of birth control.

Did your school hand out condoms? Did they show you how to put them on? If yes, that means you received your education above the Mason Dixon line or in a public school that doesn't hang crucifixes everywhere.

I spent one year outside of the Canadian Catholic School board and in that one single year I learnt all the different kinds of birth control, from the pill to the rhythm method. I was instructed about the percentage of success of each and it all happened in a few weeks of gym class.

We also were shown slides of the consequences. Every major STI was featured, we even had to do a presentation to the class about our favourite.

I think I did genital warts.

It was a little gross, incredibly awkward, and occasionally arousing, but totally necessary for the proper socialization of any North American teenager.

If you don't believe me just refer to a 2006 study done by the University of Columbia   which showed that statistically any decline in pregnacy rates is in states that offer the "safe-sex" education program, while a brand new study released about two weeks ago show that the USA's more religious states, or "the south," as its know to the rest of the world, have a higher rate of teenage pregnancy.

I'm not supposing that religion causes increased fertility, or contraceptive stupidity, I've sinned with some very religious people, in the biblical sense, and (mostly) always used protection. The mystery  cause of the spike in the teen birth flow chart is easily solved.

LACK OF EDUCATION!

I don't know anything about physics or biology, because I wasn't taught about it. I didn't take those classes, and young people aren't going to know their ass from someone else's hole in the ground if it isn't explained to them in really simple terms.

Put this there, or that in there, always wrap it, and depending what your doing to whom, use lube. The end.
_____________________________________

On a lighter note, I'm taking a short break from my writing work, so sorry to everyone who's emailed me about it. I'm using the time to expand the page, and am  currently shopping for a web designer. I hope everyone likes the new layout and logo. There WILL be a Freaky Friday post tomorrow, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. WOOOO FREAKY FRIDAYS BACK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guys is totally right, what we need in the schools in more education, and less gym equipment

    ReplyDelete